Header image

Pay it forward.

Posted by Anna Kate Saturday, January 29, 2011

I intended to publish several posts this week, but that's the funny thing about life -
it never goes as you plan.

First of all, this week made me  realize how dependent on technology I have become.  I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this discovery, but I do know that I will always back up my computer files from this point forward.
On Wednesday I was taking one of my last college exams of my undergraduate history (that doesn't seem real) when I grabbed my laptop while rushing out the door and before I knew it - wham!
A small part of me crumbled inside watching my laptop die.  Pathetic, I know.

To make a long story short (and not play the "woe me" card) there seemed to be a black cloud stalking me this week.  Of all the things that didn't seem to go well,
I kept reminding myself that it was just stuff and that
life is too short to sweat the small stuff.
I decided to head down South for the weekend for a little R&R and a shopping trip
to replace my other half (a new laptop, of course).

I was cruising along with a new playlist when my check tire light came on, and the next thing I know I hear a whomp, whomp, whomp as I pull into the nearest gas station.
Sure enough, my tire was as flat as could be.  This should first teach me a lesson in learning how to change a tire, but it also taught me a lesson in the generosity of others.  I am thankful for the strangers who stopped to assist me, and for my Mama and Aunt who were 2 hours away and still managed to get someone there in less than 10 minutes to change my tire.  Praise the Lord!

As I continued my drive home I began to think back on the week and all of the small misfortunes I had encountered.  But you know what I did?  I began to laugh.
How could I capitalize on these small ripples on the relatively calm surface of my life when there are so many others whose hardships I can't even begin to comprehend?
Everyone is fighting some kind of battle.  Use the bouts of bad luck in your life as an opportunity to realize how fortunate you are and how you can, even in some small way, enhance the lives of the people that you encounter each day.

2 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

So true! If a flat tire is the worst thing to happen in a day, things are going well!

Emily Elise said...

Love this post, and so true sister! I've heard great things about you from the other LCs... so I just had to check out your blog and say hi! :)

Post a Comment