Header image

Diamonds in the Desert Part III

Posted by Anna Kate Thursday, July 7, 2011

This is the final Convention post, I promise!

Friday – The majority of the day was spent at the final Business Meeting where Grand Council elections took place.  Check out the members of Alpha Delta Pi 2011-2013 Grand Council here.  Congratulations, sisters!  Looking forward to the amazing things these women will contribute to our great organization.
Friday night was the Alumnae Dinner with a “Bring Your Bling” theme.  This was a really fun night for everyone!  Things got started with a Gift Mart fashion show that all of the incoming LCs participated in.  We sang the traditional Convention Song after dinner to see which “Old Timer” has attended the most conventions.
Solid hug train in front of the new Gift Mart decals.
Saturday – First thing was Initiation followed by a Ritual Review Workshop.  This was an experience unlike any other.  Ritual really is what sets us apart from any other organization and what binds us together as sisters.  There were lots of goose bumps this year as we witnessed one of our founder’s great-great-granddaughters become an alumnae initiate – something I’ll never forget.
I’ll be honest, I had never heard the name Chris Blackburn or of Campus Speak before.  So when I noticed his name on the program and that he would be leading a “Response Ability” Workshop, I didn’t think much of it.  It turns out that this was another unforgettable experience.  The program said that Chris would “share a message to believe in yourself and to have enough self-confidence and healthy self-esteem that you are willing to stand up for what you know to be right” and he did that plus much more.  He left the Alpha Delta Pi Convention body with a very powerful question –
“Are you going to be the sister that your founders wanted you to be?”
LCs showing some Pi love to the man himself, Chris Blackburn.
Immediately following was the Panhellenic Luncheon.  It kicked off with the processional of flags representing the 26 NPC groups and closed beautifully by keynote speaker, Peter Smithhisler, President and CEO of the North-American Interfraternity Conference.
There were a variety of workshops that afternoon.  First I went to “Advisor Training – Beyond the Basics” for a different perspective on chapter operations, then chose “True Colors and Effective Communication”.  If you attended DLC this year or Adelphean Compass, then you will remember learning about “True Colors” and how we approach things based on personality type.  This expanded on that and focused on common mistakes we make when communicating with other colors.  Both sessions were great!
Showing off Zeta Iota's new Excellence Award!
Saturday night was the big finale at the Diamonds Awards Banquet.  Here the highest awards are presented, new Grand Council is installed, and the evening concludes with the Candlelight Roll Call where tiny pen lights slowly light the room as members from each chapter stand as their chapter name is called.  In closing of Convention is the Recessional to the lawn outside where we gathered in a circle and sang ADPi songs.  This was truly a heartwarming moment being surrounded by so many sisters and realizing that this is what it’s all about.

Sunday – Grand Convention came and went in the blink of an eye!  I was not ready to say goodbye to my Consultant Sisters.  We met with the outgoing consultants and our boss for one last breakfast together.  We were especially looking forward to finding out who our Violet Sisters were!  (A Violet Sister is an outgoing consultant paired with an incoming consultant to serve as a mentor of sorts.)  I cannot tell you how surprised and THRILLED I was to open my letter and see that it had been signed by Mary Kathryn Dykes!  A little background  Mary Kathryn visited my chapter last year on her first visit.  She really inspired all of us and she reaffirmed all of my hopes of applying to become a Consultant.  Having her as my Violet could not be more perfect.  In my letter she also gave me the LC dangle for my badge – a small, silver suitcase.  Adorable, right?  Best Violet Sister combo ever.
Violet Sisters.
Now the countdown to Atlanta begins!  T-minus 12 days until we move into Alpha Delta Pi Memorial Headquarters and begin training at Executive Office.  Can't wait!

4 comments:

sSe said...

Looks like such a wonderful experience! The college I attend is actually starting it's own chapter of ADPi this coming Fall and the more I hear about your great and lasting positive experiences with the organization the more I think I might want to join. As always great post!

High Cotton said...

Thank you so much! I am so honored to have been chosen as a Leadership Consultant and could not be more excited about the upcoming academic year. We don't get our travel schedules until the end of July, but I might very well be at your campus sometime this year! I can honestly say that joining a sorority was the best decision I ever made, and it has changed my life for the better. I could go on and on about that! If you ever want to chat just shoot me an email - aksumler@gmail.com

okiegrl said...

I love reading about everyone's Convention experiences! I'm a recent alum at Oklahoma State. If they send you to AO, I may have to come meet you!

LnL,
Bond

High Cotton said...

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I'll be sure to update with my travel schedule as soon as I get it and hopefully it will bring me to OSU at some point!

L&L,
Anna Kate

Post a Comment