Header image

Wear that diamond 'til we die.

Posted by Anna Kate Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Recently I have been thinking a little (okay, a lot) about moving back into ADPi Headquarters.  Yes, moving back in.  This time last year I had the privilege of living and working at Executive Office for six weeks as a 2010 Summer Intern.
The experience I gained during my time there was invaluable.  I met many amazing women whose friendship remains very near and dear to my heart.  These women taught me a lot about Alpha Delta Pi and about myself.  I learned to appreciate so many different things about our organization.  I learned that there is a method to the madness behind the paperwork and specific rules that are set in place.  I learned a great deal about our history – all the way back to our founding in 1851.  I have a much greater appreciation for where we came from and a clearer view of why preserving our organization in the future is so crucial.  I learned about expansion and leadership services and the list could go on and on.

But what I learned about myself I owe to the other interns.  There were five of us, all from different chapters across the country.  Not only did we have Alpha Delta Pi in common, but we were also all serving as chapter President at the time.  Spending time sharing stories, concerns, worries, as well as achievements was really life-changing for me and my next semester as President.

Most importantly, living with these sisters helped me to appreciate the diversity of our sorority.  Prior to the internship, I had little experience with Alpha Delta Pi chapters outside of my own and none whatsoever outside of District I (the Southeast).  Our chapter experiences were all very different, but we were all sisters.  We all had the same foundation that was laid for us by our founders over 160 years ago.  So what I gained was this – to learn from one another, grow individually, and embrace the differences in others. 

I am so excited about meeting many different Alpha Delta Pi women this year.  I encourage all of you as well to take every opportunity to reach out, connect, and meet new sisters from other places.  With all of the social media outlets that are now available, the possibilities to do so are much greater than they have ever been before.  And just because someone may not appear to be your typical “your-chapter-name-here” girl, she is your sister and I guarantee that there is something you can learn from her.


“If you are brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting and set out on a truth-seeking journey, and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue, and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher, and if you are prepared – most of all – to face some very difficult realities about yourself . . . then truth will not be withheld from you.”
-Eat, Pray, Love

3 comments:

Amanda B. Nguyen said...

Beautifully said, Miss Anna Kate. Love this post!

Courtney Danielle said...

Completely Agree! You said this perfectly!

Barbara said...

Love this, Anna Kate!

Post a Comment